Of A Stanford PhD-educated Taxi Driver
Came across a blog named A Singapore Taxi Driver's Diary through Eddie's recommendation when I went to his house to grab the water spray he is not using.
The writer was a former professor who has resorted to driving a cab as a source of income and support his family. Indeed, I am utterly taken aback by the turn of events in his life, constantly reminding us of the harsh realities of life which occasionally force us into taking difficult decisions at times to preserve our livelihood. Nonetheless, I am also amused by his accounts of interactions with his customers.
It will be one of the blogs I will frequent for enlightening information and also a good read but also one that I strongly suggest you guys to check it out. It definitely sheds some light into the taxi driving industry which some of us may have misconceptions and prejudice towards. Perhaps, with the existence of this blog, we may spare some thoughts towards those occupations which may not be as high-paying or prestigious as bankers, doctors or lawyers. These meagre, lowly-paid jobs are an integral part of the society and adds on value into our daily lives, which we as human beings must put some consideration and thoughts into showing our appreciation to them.
Talking about taxi drivers, our encounter with a taxi driver who drove us from Tampines Mall to Costa Sands Downtown East yesterday night irked me to a great extent. I was appalled by the fact that the fare can actually reached 10 dollars for such a short distance plus the fact that he had actually dropped us at Costa Sands Pasir Ris instead of the former while proudly announcing that it was the right one despite our claims. The taxi driver give the general taxi drivers' community a bad name and I sincerely hope that such drivers can be reprimanded for their bad quality of service.

Comments